Museum Location
515 Railroad Ave.
Pittsburg, Ca. 94565

Mailing Address
P. O. Box 1816
Pittsburg, Ca. 94565

Phone Number
(925) 439-7501

Email Address
info@pittsburghistoricalsociety.com

Museum Hours
Wednesday 1 - 4 pm
Saturday 10 - 2 pm

2011 Officers &

Committee Members

President
Joseph Lucido

1st VP
Frank Hurtado

2nd VP
Denise Lawrie

Secretary
Marlene Martinez

Treasurer
Joan Evola

Member-at-Large
John Buffo

Trustees
Sherill Hecock
Edmund Caruso
Vincent J. Ferrante

Curator
Rosemarie DiMaggio

Historian
Marti Aiello

Building
Dennis Mutulo

Parliamentarian
Rose Scudero

Ways & Means
Gail Pearson

Public Relations/Newsletter
Carol Schmalenberger


Membership & Memorials
Densie Lawrie
Gail Pearson



 

Pittsburg Historical Society & Museum

1961 - 2011


The founders of the Pittsburg Historical Society could never have envisioned such a grand museum as we have at 515 Railroad Avenue. The group that came together for a common purpose, preserving the history of Pittsburg, had deep roots in this colorful river town and wanted following generations to know about its people and evolution through ranching, mining, fishing, canning, military base, and the large industries which had come here for its location on the river (water and transportation), railroads, and people willing to work from many backgrounds and ethnicities. With no space of their own, they began with exhibits on a temporary basis in various places including the Junta house on Black Diamond Street. This small but hardy group, recognized by the Pittsburg Chamber of Commerce on October 18, 1961, was composed of the pioneer Buchanan family, Norma Daly, the O’Hara and Davi families, Marie Harper, the Milton Killoughs, and Theresa Gatto Freed.

Needing to find some permanent space, the founders obtained a former Chevron clubhouse which was moved to the edge of City Park near Railroad Avenue where for many years their collection grew to the point of overflow. In the 1990s it was arranged to secure the closed Southern Pacific Railroad Depot. On the eve before ownership transfer the building was completely destroyed by fire.   The group, by then 35 years old, began looking for other property. Then President Pat Firpo and then Curator Marti Aiello had their eye on the vacant Pittsburg Post Dispatch building.  They worked with the Lesher family and purchased the building in 1997. Because of its age, built in 1926 for the Coast County Gas & Electric and then merged with Pacific Gas and Electric Company, they were unable to open the new building to the public until it was retrofitted for earthquake stability.  Thanks to grants from the City of Pittsburg, local industries, and others and under the supervision of Joseph Barraco, architect and former society president, the building was remodeled and the grand opening was held in 2003.  In 2006 the Albert D. Seeno Family donated $250,000 to the museum and the history of this little community in northern California lives on.

Today the museum hosts a large collection of artifacts, historical photos, a well organized library of papers, maps and reference books.